Monday, May 17, 2010

'VCL 20 Questions' with Pennan Brae


"Vancouver City Limits 20 Questions"  Featuring VCL Artist:  Pennan Brae - Performing a VCL Showcase at
the Rowing Club Friday, May 21/2010


1. WHAT DO YOU CALL THE STYLE OF MUSIC YOU PLAY?

I play laid-back, chilled pop-rock.


2. WHERE IS YOUR HOMETOWN?
Vancouver, BC.


3. (FOR GUITARIST ONLY:) WHAT KIND OF GUITAR DO YOU PLAY?
Electric: Music Man Silhouette. Acoustic: Taylor T5


4. (FOR SINGERS ONLY:) WHAT CAN YOU NOT LIVE WITHOUT AS A SINGER?
A reliable microphone & sound system.


5. WHERE CAN YOUR FANS FIND YOU ONLINE?
I’m at a couple of places:
http://www.pennanbrae.com/
www.myspace.com/pennanbrae.com
www.facebook.com/pennanbrae
www.twitter.com/Pennan_Brae


6. WHERE ARE YOU PLAYING IN THE NEXT COUPLE MONTHS?
In Vancouver at the Café Soleil & Raw Canvas for example.


7. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO LATELY?
The Rolling Stones, Beatles, Chuck Berry & Muddy Waters.


8. IF YOUR KID TOLD YOU THEY WANT TO BE IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS, WHAT WOULD YOU TELL THEM?
Have fun. Focus on songwriting & performance & love what you do.


9. IS THIS YOUR FIRST ALBUM?
I’ve released 2 albums in 2009; ‘Shaded Joy’ & ‘Amber Glow’.


10. WHEN DO YOU GO BACK IN THE STUDIO?
I’d like to be back in during the Fall of 2010 to record my next work, ‘Desert Drift’.


11. WHAT SONG OF YOURS ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF? WHY?
I’m really proud of ‘Anyways’, my lead single from ‘Shaded Joy’. I like the intimacy of how it comes across on record.


12. WHAT HAS BEEN A HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR CAREER SO FAR?
Receiving airplay in Canada, the US & Australia. Doing my first video, ‘Goin’ Down’ also felt great.


13. IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE OUT ON THE ROAD AND NOT EAT ANY JUNK FOOD?
Sure it is; you can eat junk food anywhere; you just have to make a choice whether you go for it or not.


14. WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING IF YOU WEREN'T A MUSICIAN?
I have no idea; I can’t imagine.


15. DO YOU HAVE A RECIPE YOU'RE KNOWN FOR? CARE TO SHARE?
I’m not known to be the best cook in the world, though I do make a mean grilled cheese sandwich.


16. WHO IS YOUR BIGGEST MUSICAL INFLUENCE?
The blues & Chuck Berry. I also admire the Beatles’ songwriting & the energy in the Stones’ music.


17. WHY WAS YOUR WORST GIG YOUR WORST GIG EVER?
One time I was doing a jam in a restaurant & the lead singer/guitarist was drunk. He kept speeding up & slowing down & changing chords unpredictably. This made it impossible for the drummer to keep time & for me to follow his changes. I felt bad for the people eating there & was glad to jump down from there after just 1 song.


18. IF YOU COULD HAVE AN ASSISTANT DO ANY PART OF YOUR MUSIC BUSINESS FOR YOU, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE THEM DO?
Further help with promotion & networking.


19. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PART OF THIS BUSINESS?
Playing for people.


20. WHAT DON'T YOUR FANS KNOW ABOUT YOU?
Well, not too much to say, I suppose. Just that I hope I can write a song that you might enjoy one day.



submitted by Lucie Walker

No comments: