Sunday, May 30, 2010

VCL '20 Questions' with Sean Hayden

1. WHAT DO YOU CALL THE STYLE OF MUSIC YOU PLAY?
Organic Singer-songwriter Rock, with sprinklings of Pop-Jazz.

2. WHERE IS YOUR HOMETOWN?
Vancouver, BC

3. (FOR GUITARIST ONLY:) WHAT KIND OF GUITAR DO YOU PLAY?
My touring guitars are a Martin Acoustic DX1KE, & a Godin Electric LGX-SA. Though I do have several other guitars.

4. (FOR SINGERS ONLY:) WHAT CAN YOU NOT LIVE WITHOUT AS A SINGER?
Water. Literally!

5. WHERE CAN YOUR FANS FIND YOU ONLINE?
My official website, www.seanhayden.net. You can also find me on Facebook (www.facebook.com/seanhaydenmusic), Twitter (www.twitter.com/seanhayden), and a host of other network sites. (IE: Youtube, Myspace, etc).

6. WHERE ARE YOU PLAYING IN THE NEXT COUPLE MONTHS?
I’ll be playing a lot of venues in British Columbia & Alberta. Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, Kamloops, Jasper, Edmonton, Calgary, etc. Your best bet is to check the Gigs page on my website to see if I’m playing near you.

7. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO LATELY?
The latest record I bought was “Earfood” by Roy Hargrove; so silky!

8. IF YOUR KID TOLD YOU THEY WANT TO BE IN THE MUSIC BUSINESS, WHAT WOULD YOU TELL THEM?
“Great! But you gotta learn the business.” It’s so important to learn how the business side of music works. When you’re young, get your chops together, but when you’re getting ready to really take it to the ‘making a living stage’, you HAVE TO learn the true business side.

9. IS THIS YOUR FIRST ALBUM?
Yes.

10. WHEN DO YOU GO BACK IN THE STUDIO?
I’m planning to head back and start recording my next record at the end of the summer. Around September or so.

11. WHAT SONG OF YOURS ARE YOU MOST PROUD OF? WHY?
I’m proud of all my songs for different reasons – at least the ones I play in a regular rotation for people.

12. WHAT HAS BEEN A HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR CAREER SO FAR?
I'm fortunate enough to have had a few. It’s the little comments that I think go the furthest though – recently I had a women come up to me who told me that she’d been going through a terrible time of hard ships, but she said there was something in the music and the way I played that made her not only forget all that, but build up her euphoria about the future ahead. To me, that means the world. The fact that my music can sometimes heal people – what an honor!

13. IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE OUT ON THE ROAD AND NOT EAT ANY JUNK FOOD?
It’s easy to avoid candy, chocolate, chips, and all that stuff. Fast food & the like is a little trickier. What I do when I’m on the road is I just avoid the obvious junk, along with some other key items: sauces (mayo, alfredo, mostly white sauces), fries, deep fried items, etc. I almost never eat at McDonalds or anything of the sort. I use the Urban Spoon app on my phone to easily find what’s good in town and affordable.

14. WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING IF YOU WEREN'T A MUSICIAN?
Something that involves a lot of entrepreneurial effort & management. I like to run my own outlet and have control over my business, direction, creativity, etc.

15. DO YOU HAVE A RECIPE YOU'RE KNOWN FOR? CARE TO SHARE?
Intro, Verse, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Verse, Chor. . . (*wink*)

16. WHO IS YOUR BIGGEST MUSICAL INFLUENCE?
Life. If we’re talking bands & musicians, my go to cats are Pat Metheny, Dave Matthews Band, Soulive, & Jamie Cullum, but I also always circle back to a large plethora of artists, including as of late; Ennio Morricone, Brad Mehldau, David Guetta, Lupe Fiasco, etc. The list goes on and on and on.

17. WHY WAS YOUR WORST GIG EVER YOUR WORST GIG EVER?
Everything that could go wrong, went wrong, or at least it sure seemed that way. I forgot to bring a bunch of key items to the gig, the P.A. wouldn’t work, the majority of the audience was wasted before I even arrived, (and not in the fun/cheery sort of way either) - it was a perfect storm.

18. IF YOU COULD HAVE AN ASSISTANT DO ANY PART OF YOUR MUSIC BUSINESS FOR YOU, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE THEM DO?
Bookings and gig promotion. I like to have control in those things, but I feel like they take up a lot of my creative time. So I’d love to have somebody do those things and all I have to do is confirm it. Hopefully, I will have someone soon for that!

19. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE PART OF THIS BUSINESS?
The fact that I get to be creative everyday, whether it’s the music, performance, recording, or the literal business part of it. I love every aspect about music & the music business – the bad and the good.

20. WHAT DON'T YOUR FANS KNOW ABOUT YOU?
My middle name is Daniel.



submitted by Lucie Walker

No comments: