Wednesday, May 5, 2010

VCL Interview Podcast with Nat Jay



I just loved getting to know Nat Jay; I found her so interesting!  We sat down together after her VCL showcase at the Railway Club (04/28/10), and for such a noisy club on such a busy night, we managed to get decent audio. 

On a night where the other acts all had support players, Nat Jay walked up on stage...a girl and her guitar...and had 'em.  

It's not the first time Nat has commanded attention.  I asked her about her song, Love When I Can from her debut EP, Lights Across the SkyListen as she talks about her experience with something that most of us only dream about:


And now watch the result:

As great as this was/is for Nat, it's only a drop in the bucket.  If you want to see a hard-working musician/songwriter with her act together, you just need to take a look at her myspace blog.  It is so inspiring to see someone doing what it takes. 

She was a classically trained flautist who didn't listen to Pop music until she was 15, when she met a group of friends who introduced her to the genre. 

"Both my parents were classical musicians, and I grew up in a classical household. My parents were music teachers who taught a lot of musical theatre, so I grew up listening to a lot of that and I didn't even realize how much of it I knew until I was in London and went to 'Les Mis' and apparently I knew all the lyrics!"

While she's in the planning stages of her next recording and appearances, she did say that she'll be at the Serenity Music Festival at the Amazing Women's Concert August 21 at Birch Island, BC. 

I can't wait that long!  I've been listening to Love When I Can all afternoon! 

Nat Jay's music is available at CDBABY and on itunes and you can find her on youtube, twitter, and facebook

submitted by Lucie Walker


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to see Nat getting the recognition she deserves not only for her talent but for her hard work.

Vancouver City Limits said...

Hi John,
Yes, reading more about Nat seriously impressed me! :)